I realize I’m late to the party, because I’m just now making my first pumpkin sweet of the year over halfway through November. But this pound cake is worth the wait! It’s chock full of pumpkin, pecans, and of course, pumpkin spice.
I’m not sure why pumpkin spice has gotten a bad rep the past several years. After all it really isn’t anything too fancy, just a lovely mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. Sure, the pumpkin spice trend may have gotten a bit out of hand in recent years (have you see that there’s even pumpkin spice hummus now? Nuts), but that doesn’t mean that the spice mix isn’t still wonderful in places it actually belongs.
This pound cake is certainly one of those places.
So go ahead, break out the pumpkin spice and whip together this wonderfully cliche fall treat. And prepare for your house to smell amazingly autumnal while it’s baking!
Pumpkin Pecan Pound Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a loaf tin by spraying it with nonstick baking spray or lining it with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice.
- Mix in about a third of the flour mixture until combined, then add about half of the pureed pumpkin. Repeat, adding it another third of flour mixture, letting in combine, adding in the remaining pumpkin, and then adding in the remaining flour until all the flour and pumpkin is well combined.
- Using a spatula, fold pecans into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- I used this loaf tin.