When I moved to Seattle from my hometown in Tennessee, one of the first things I did was find the closest Trader Joe’s stores, and buy my very first jar of cookie butter.
I had heard people talking about cookie butter for years online, but had no where to buy it in my rural Tennessee hometown. Once I finally got my first taste, I became obsessed! In college, I’d eat cookie butter by the spoonful straight out of the jar. And don’t even get me started on cookie butter ice cream! If you’ve never tried it and have access to a Trader Joe’s store, drop everything to go get some, you won’t regret it!
While I no longer eat jars of cookie butter by the spoonful, I do love incorporating it into my baking. These cookie butter brownies are so decadent, and such a fun treat to make!
Start off by making a rich, chocolaty brownie batter.
Spread the batter evenly in a 9″ x 13″ pan. If you want to make thicker brownies you can use a 9″ x 9″ pan, you’ll just need to bake them a few minutes longer so they get cooked thoroughly.
Spoon cookie butter onto the batter. In hindsight I could’ve added a bit more cookie butter when I made these, so feel free to be generous if you’d like!
Using a skewer or a fork, swirl the cookie butter into the brownie batter until it’s well distributed throughout the tops of the brownies. Isn’t it pretty?
I hope you enjoy this decadent treat!
Cookie Butter Swirl Brownies
- 3/4 cup butter (1 + 1/2 sticks)
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup cookie butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9″x13″ baking dish by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate and butter and microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each increment, until butter and chocolate are melted and smooth.
- Add sugar and stir until combined. Add eggs, salt, and vanilla and cocoa powder and combine.
- Add flour and carefully fold in until flour is combined completely.
- Spoon brownie batter into baking dish and spread until evenly distributed.
- Add spoonfulls of cookie butter on top of the batter. Using a skewer or fork, swirl the cookie butter into the brownie batter until there are cookie butter swirls all over the batter.
- Bake for 28-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Let cool, and enjoy!