If you’re looking for a super savory and comforting soup to keep you warm this winter, look no further than this hearty Butternut Squash and Roasted Garlic Beer Cheese Soup!
This soup has the rich, delicious texture that makes beer cheese soup so wonderful, and it’s absolutely full of butternut squash, making it a slightly less guilty winter meal in a season full of decadent cooking.
This soup also contains an entire bulb of roasted garlic and a bit of subtle heat from cayenne pepper. The roasted garlic works well with the white cheddar to give this soup a delightfully savory flavor. As far as the cayenne pepper goes, feel free to use as much or as little of it as you’d like! My boyfriend and I are a couple of spice junkies, so I usually kick up the soup with an additional teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a generous sprinkling of pepper to finish, but feel free to season according to your own preference!
To make this silky smooth soup, you’ll need to use either an immersion blender or a regular blender to fully blend and combine the squash, liquid, and roasted garlic. I used my immersion blender, and it worked beautifully to create a lovely creamy consistency. Plus, I love that I’m able to blend the soup right in the Dutch oven I cook it in, making this a one pot soup!
If using a regular blender instead, blend the soup in 2-3 batches, making sure not to overfill the blender. After blending, return the soup to the pot and continue the recipe.
This soup goes wonderfully with a slice of crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s the perfect, veggie packed soup to keep you warm on a cold night.
Butternut Squash and Roasted Garlic Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 oz ale
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
Roast the garlic:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice off top of the bulb of garlic, exposing the tops of the cloves.
- Rub the garlic in olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil, about bake for 30 minutes, or until cloves are tender and lightly browned. Let cool.
- Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves and set aside until ready to use.
Make the soup:
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add squash and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ale and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until squash is very soft and tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic to the soup.
- Puree the soup using either an immersion blender or a blender.
- Stir in half and half and cheese until cheese is completely melted. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with additional cheese and cayenne pepper, if desired.